Auxiliary Law Enforcement Response Team
The San Francisco Police Department has developed a volunteer citizen disaster preparedness program, the first of its kind sponsored by the Department. The Auxiliary Law Enforcement Response Team (ALERT) has been established to fill the need for civilian volunteers to aid law enforcement during times of disaster.
We all know that it’s not a matter of if, but when the next disaster will strike. A disaster could severely impact our City. Planning and preparation will save lives and protect property. ALERT will be a significant component of our preparation for any such disaster.
The Police Department will team with members of the public who recognize the need for community involvement in law enforcement and have a desire to serve the City during times of disaster. Trained ALERT volunteers, individuals who live or work in San Francisco will be prepared to care for themselves and then provide a public service by assisting law enforcement’s response to a disaster.
The ALERT program is modeled after and works in partnership with the San Francisco Fire Department’s Neighborhood Emergency Response Team (NERT). Working in collaboration with Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White and her staff will ensure that NERT and ALERT work side by side in a mutually supportive effort in the aftermath of a large scale disaster.
The ALERT program will train members of the public in essential tasks after a major disaster. Such tasks may include:
• Assist with traffic control
• Participate in foot patrols of business and residential areas to aid in reporting criminal activity, looting and property damage
• Provide information to the Police Incident Command Post
• Work in partnership with NERT volunteers to conduct well being checks
• Assist with medical aid when required
• Assist with Command Post functions and at district police stations
• Assist Animal Care and Control as requested
• Assist in securing resource locations
• Deliver logistic supplies
• Direct individuals to mass casualty and shelter locations
• Assist at reunification centers
• Assist with Operation Return
Alert volunteers will be required to complete the NERT training provided by the San Francisco Fire Department. NERT training will provide the foundation for ALERT volunteers. After receiving NERT training, volunteers will proceed through an 8 hour course specifically designed for the ALERT members. This additional training will prepare the ALERT member to safely accomplish the tasks which we have identified to assist law enforcement personnel with.
Interested individuals may contact the ALERT Program Coordinator, Mark Hernandez, at
(415) 401-4615 or via email at email@example.com
For a comprehensive overview of the ALERT program, please visit our webpage at www.sanfranciscopolice.org/alert