November 25, 2009
Subject: Safety Awareness On Public Transportation
In an effort to enhance the safety of all MUNI riders and patrons, the San Francisco Police Department encourages passengers to exercise steps of awareness to help avoid becoming a victim of theft or robbery.
- Be aware of who is around you. Notify the bus operator if someone acts suspiciously.
- Keep money and valuables, including cell phones and portable music players, out of sight and tucked safely away in your clothing, purse, or bag.
- If the coach is empty or nearly empty, sit as far up front and close to the driver as possible.
- Upon arriving at your stop, be aware of those who are exiting with you. If you feel you are being followed, stay on the coach and notify the operator or go to the nearest occupied building and ask for assistance.
- After dark, attempt to get off the bus in a well-lit area.
- Pick-pocketing usually occurs under crowded conditions. Be aware of jostling and pushing when boarding public transportation.
- Place your arm on the outside of your purse or bag.
- Keep your keys separate from your purse or bag.
- If you notice anything unpleasant, call the MUNI complaint line (415) 923-6164.
- For emergencies or crimes in progress, dial 9-1-1. For non-emergencies, dial 553-0123.
Additional personal tips are available from San Francisco Safety Awareness for Everyone (SAFE), 553-1984, or www.sfsafe.org.
850 Bryant Street, Room 549, San Francisco, CA. 94103
Tel (415) 553-1651 / Fax (415) 553-9229