Know the Law!
A person who maliciously:
1) defaces with paint or any other liquid;
2) damages; or
3) destroys any real or personal property not his/her own
COMMITS A CRIME penal code 594
Graffiti damage up to $400 is punishable by up to 1 year in jail, $10,000 fine or both
Graffiti damage of $400.00 or more can be punished as a FELONY- even if the vandal is a minor - by up to 3 years in state prison and a fine of up to $50,000.00
Graffiti on a place of worship can be treated as a Felony punished by up to 3 years in State Prison.
Graffiti with acid or caustic substances can be punished by up to 3 years in State Prison and $50,000.00
Parents and Guardians of Minors Who Commit Graffiti
- may be prosecuted for failing to supervise their children and sentenced to 1 year in jail and/or$2,500.00;
- are responsible for damage caused by willful misconduct of their children including repairs and attorney fees up to $10,000.00;
- are liable for up to $25,000.00 in damages when a minor's willful misconduct results in injury to the property of another;
- will be sued by SFUSD for damage to school property;
- can be ordered to maintain specific property graffiti free for up to 240 days.
IF YOU ARE CONVICTED OF GRAFFITI VANDALISM, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE FOR ONE YEAR. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A LICENSE, ISSUANCE WILL BE DELAYED FOR 1 YEAR AFTER YOU ARE ELIGIBLE UP TO THE AGE OF 21 YEAR OLD
GRAFFITI VANDALS MAY BE SUSPENDED OR EXPELLED FROM SAN FRANCISCO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT SCHOOLS
SFUSD POLICY REQUIRES SUSPENSION IF A STUDENT HAS SPRAY CANS OR MARKERS IN HIS/HER POSSESSION WITH OUT PERMISSION OF SCHOOL AUTHORITY.
Storekeepers and Suppliers Storekeepers and suppliers who enable graffiti - who illegally store, display, sell or supply graffiti tools - commit a Misdemeanor punishable by up to 6 months in the county Jail and / or $1,000 fine.
Graffiti hotline: (415) 278-9454 to report graffiti or any information relating to graffiti vandalism.