$80,574.00 - $112,164.00/year
A Police Officer works 40 hours per week on different shifts and overtime may be required. San Francisco offers excellent benefits and the current starting salary is $80,574 per year. After seven years of service a Police Officer may earn up to $112,164 per year. You will receive comprehensive training, at your full starting salary, which includes 31 weeks at the Police Academy prior to field training at one of the district stations.
Police Officer Duties Include But Are Not Limited To:
- Patrolling their districts, responding to calls for service, conducting investigations, writing reports, pursuing and detaining suspects, and making arrests.
- Participating in community policing programs.
- Enforcing traffic and parking laws.
- Working with superiors, peers, and other Department personnel.
- Preparing for and participating in planned events.
- Preparing for and attending court.
- Participating in self-development activities.
Police Officer's Benefits:
- 10 paid vacation days a year during the first five years of service.
- 15 paid vacation days a year during the next 10 years of service.
- 20 paid vacation days a year after 15 years of service.
- 4 floating holidays.
- 13 paid sick days a year and several healthcare plans.
- Bilingual pay and special assignment pay.
- Retirement benefits: 3% of final compensation per year of service at age 58, with a maximum of 90% benefit based on years of service.
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5% - 13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact your departmental personnel officer.
The Behavioral Science Unit:
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Crisis Incident Response Team (C.I.R.T.)
- Peer Support Program.
- Catastrophic Illness Program.
- Psychological Professionals (United Behavioral Health)
- Stress Unit-Chemical Dependency.
- Police Chaplains.
- Psychiatric Liaison Unit.
Police Officer Employment Information
General Information and Qualifications
Salary and Benefits
Application and Selection Procedures
Lateral Entry Program
List of Current Job Openings
Background Unit / Current Candidate Info
The Physical Ability Test
Frequently Asked Questions
Have Questions? Contact the San Francisco Police Department Recruitment Unit
850 Bryant Street, Room 577-15A, San Francisco, CA 94103
Phone: 415-734-3331 or 415-734-3332